#Access13: Abortion Access Month 2013
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the National Network of Abortion Funds and we are excited to announce a new effort to jumpstart a national conversation about what access to abortion really means: please join us for Abortion Access Month 2013!
We are sharing stories and actions from our network of abortion funds and allies to help spark conversations, to amplify the voices of the people most affected by bans on abortion funding and other abortion restrictions, and to shine a spotlight on the work activists are doing to end injustice.
Abortion Access Month kicks off with some real talk from NNAF board members Eesha Pandit and Verónica Bayetti Flores: "Mind the Gap: September is Abortion Access Month":
"We invite you to join us and add your voice to a loud and unapologetic call to all our policymakers: let’s end the unequal health care system that treats reproductive health care as something separate from all other health care. Let’s repeal the Hyde Amendment!"
The last weekend of September will culminate with the Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion on September 28th and, on September 30th, reflections on the anniversary of the Hyde Amendment which as of 37 years this month has banned all coverage of abortion in the federal Medicaid program. And in between we will keep you posted on actions and events in your area.
It is time to have a sustained conversation about what happens when abortion is out of reach.
Be part of the conversation. Help elevate the dialogue. Help shift the focus. And: mind the gap.
Get started here:
- Join our email list for updates this month.
- Sign and share the petition to repeal the Hyde Amendment.
- Use the hashtag #Access13 on Twitter and Facebook. Tweet us @AbortionFunds.
- Find your local abortion fund.
- Click here to download and share Abortion Access Month logos, badges, and graphics
Scheduled events and significant dates:
- Wednesday, September 18: "If You Care About Criminal Justice, You Should Care About Reproductive Justice." Webinar hosted by National Women's Law Center. 6-7 pm EST. Must register in advance.
- Thursday, September 19: "Remembering Hyde, Celebrating Our Allies." The New Orleans Abortion Fund will honor the dedicated work of the Women's Health Care Center. New Orleans, 6:30-8:30 pm. $5. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for location information.
- Saturday, September 21: Screening of the film After Tiller in NYC, followed by a Q&A moderated by members of the New York Abortion Access Fund (NYAAF) with the filmmakers, Martha Shane and Lana Wilson. A portion of ticket purchase to benefit NYAAF. (Must be purchased in advance.) Click for details.
- Wednesday, September 25: 10th Annual Lilith Fund Reproductive Equity Awards, 6-9 pm, Austin, TX
- Friday, September 27: Tweetchat with Ipas, 12-1 EST #HelmsHurts
- Saturday, September 28: Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion
- Saturday, September 28: March for Choice in Dublin, Ireland. 2 pm. Followed by after party at Toner's Pub to benefit the international abortion fund, the Abortion Support Network, 5 pm.
- Monday, September 30: The Hyde Amendment passed on this day in 1976, 37 years ago.
Abortion Access Month blog posts, articles, and commentary:
- Nancy Pitt, outgoing board chair of Women Have Options, reflects on Abortion Access Month and her time in leadership at the all-volunteer Ohio fund. Women Have Options is one of the founding abortion funds in the network and has been helping women for over 20 years.
- At Choice USA, public health student Diana Sencherey outlines five steps for getting involved in Abortion Access Month. She notes that 2011 was "the year of abortion restrictions," but that 2013 may end up being even worse.
- At Bust, Katie Fustich urges people to use the occasion to learn more about the needs in their local communities and to help a local abortion fund.
- Abortion fund volunteers from across the country took to Twitter to describe what they hear on the hotlines. Check out #ThingsAbortionFundsSay